Three levels on which sound commands our attention based on the Gestalt principle of figure and ground.
- The immediate presence of something we are consciously listening to
- The support sound for the event or environment that are heard but do not command direct attention
- Background sound that we don’t notice but that constitutes the created reality and can influence our subconscious
- Most films being voccocentrist allow the voice to be first on the hierarchy
- Silence enables background, often third level, to become closer to the conscious listening